Tips for Dealing with Divorce Stress
Written By: Jessie Kay
Divorce is an extremely stressful time, especially when there are children involved. The best thing you can do is to take extra special care of yourself. This will of course not only benefit you but also your kids. They will feel a lot more relaxed if they see that you are relaxed and in good spirits. Here are a couple of things you can do to help minimize your stress and help you cope. -Make sure that you maintain a healthy diet. Eat lots of fruit and veg and drink a lot of water. If you aren't taking a good multivitamin now would be an excellent time to start taking one. Try to find a high dose vitamin B complex supplement which you can take everyday. Vitamin B is excellent for maintaining energy levels, reducing stress and boosting your immune system.
- Try to keep physically active and don't let go of your normal exercise routines. Exercise makes you feel good! It helps to eliminate a lot of stress, anger, frustration and anxiety. If you don't have an established exercise routine now would be a great time to join some type of exercise club where you will have a chance to meet new people and make new friends which is always a good thing!
- Make time for fun and do things that you love! Spend time with friends and family who support and love you. Take a bath, read a book, have a nap, watch your favorite movie and simply indulge yourself in your favorite things. Try to avoid negative people and things that make you feel bad. Divorce is hard enough without having to deal with people and circumstances that make you feel worse.
- Invest in a blank book and just write, write, write! Journaling is a great form of therapy and it helps you to get your feelings out. Keep a record of the negative things about your ex that contributed to the breakdown of your marriage. Keep the list on hand should you experience those times when you wish that you could have your ex back.
- Try to let go of problems and situations that are beyond your control. Worrying about these things will make you unnecessarily angry and anxious. When you feel yourself giving into these emotions try to distract yourself immediately. Try to focus on the things that you do have control of and try to fill your mind good things in your life.
- If you are struggling to sleep try using this time to imagine your new life. Don't think of things that you've lost or about your ex. Imagine that you are a kid again and your life is a blank canvas. Now imagine your perfect life! Try to think of your divorce as a new beginning and not an end!
Most importantly, take the time to heal! It may take time but you need to forgive yourself and your spouse. Don't cheat yourself out of a new and happy life by letting issues from your marriage follow you into new relationships.